How to Rock a Pencil Skirt from Day to Night
Ah, the pencil skirt. She's been a staple in wardrobes since Christian Dior introduced her to the fashion world in the 1950's. A classic piece that's both polished and sleek, the pencil skirt has never gone out of style. But, the pencil can feel like a bold move for some, as it tends to be a more fitted style. While the pencil skirt can be so right, it's also not uncommon to find pencils that are poorly designed and fit so wrong. Luckily for us, the Paisley Raye pencil skirt embodies all the things that make a pencil a true wardrobe staple: she's fitted, but not diggy, especially at the waistband. And best of all, she comes in a variety of colors, textures and patterns!
Characteristics of the Paisley Raye Pencil Skirt
There are lots of pencil skirts on the market, but they are certainly not all created equally! Here are the need-to-know key facts about Paisley Raye's staple skirt:
- Designed to be form fitting throughout, although you can size up one for a looser fit below the hips
- A wide waistband helps prevent digging and aids in seamless "tummy control," especially when paired with Spanx!
- The waistband can be folded over to bring up length
- Available in a variety of fabrics: Knite crepe (a poly/span blend with a bubble texture), heavyweight rayon/span blend, DTY/double brushed poly/span (this is a deliciously soft fabric!), and a limited release of velveteen, too! Each of these fabrics are fabulously stretchy and breathable.
- Made in the USA -- as with all Paisley Raye styles, our fabulous pencil skirt is 100% made in the USA!
The Paisley Raye Pencil Skirt for Your Body Type
While pencils are super easy to throw on and dress up or down, there are a few guidelines that can help you wear your pencil to best flatter your body type. While I'm a firm believer that all people should wear their style however they feel comfortable and happy, I also understand that a flattering fit is key to confidence! Here are a few helpful hints for your body type:
Wear your pencil skirt at your true waist (that's just below the ribcage) with a fitted top tucked in or tied at the waist. Accentuating your true waist and hugging the curve of your hips will avoid putting the focus on your height! Avoid wearing longer tops with your pencil skirt, as it can make you appear boxy--and the pencil skirt specializes in curves. If you want to appear a bit taller or more polished, finish your look with a pair of heels or wedges, but avoid booties that aren't fitted or come up higher than the ankle.
Curvy or Hourglass Build
The Paisley Raye pencil skirt is super flattering on a curvier build, as it accentuates curves in all the right places. Try a bold color or print to draw the focal point of your outfit to the best part--the pencil skirt! Pair your pencil skirt with a sassy pair of kitten heels, or for a more casual look, try it with a plain pair of sneakers. For your top, play with detail--a button-up can be super sleek for a day at the office, or a chunky knit sweater slightly tucked in front can add a bold texture.
Pencil Skirt Styling "Rules"
The rules of fashion are made to be broken, but these are my personal tips for styling a pencil skirt:
- Be daring with your pairing. Yep, this rule totally rhymes, because it's important to remember! Style is all about self expression, so don't shy away from having fun.
- You can mix fits. Yup--just because your pencil is fitted, doesn't mean your whole outfit has to be! This is a particularly fun trick if, like me, you're not very busty. You can accentuate your legs and/or the curve of your hips with a fitted pencil, but pair it with a chunky knitted sweater for comfort.
- Dress it up for a job interview or business wear by pairing it with an Oxford and blazer or a nice blouse and cardigan.
- Switch it up for an easy transition from business casual to super chic! You can take the pencil skirt out on the town with a few of these easy tricks:
- Tie up your Oxford for a cute faux-crop top
- Swap your blazer and kitten heels for a sleek Moto jacket and pleather booties for an instantly edgier look
- Make it a cute beachy look with a ruffled off-shoulder top and sandals
- If you're comfortable, it's cute. Don't let anyone tell you that you're wearing your skirt too short, too long, too tight or too loose. If you look in the mirror and you feel good, that's all that matters. Always remember that style is 100% subjective and it's not your responsibility to please anyone else!
More Paisley Raye Pencil Skirt Styling Ideas
Follow my pencil skirt board on Pinterest for more tips on how to style your Paisley Raye pencil skirt, or any pencil skirt in your closet! You can also join the Southern Sartorial Facebook group to get feedback from fellow sartorialists, as well as learn more about the fit, fabric and styling of each Paisley Raye piece I carry.